Kharghar is the latest node in Navi Mumbai, being developed by CIDCO of Maharashtra. Located between CBD Belapur and Kalamboli, Kharghar has been coming up very fast with meticulous planning. In the year 2002, when people started moving into Kharghar and there were about 15-20 sikh families , the need was felt for a Gurdwara to assemble and offer prayers on a daily basis. After a lot of discussions, a temporary Gurdwara was started in a Garage of a Row House in the year 2002, wherein daily morning and evening diwans were conducted. The registration formalities for the Gurdwara were completed in December 2004.
To accommodate the growing number of sikh sangat, the competent authority (CIDCO) was approached in 2005, by the members of the community, for providing a permanent place for constructing a Gurdwara in Kharghar and a formal application for the same was submitted to CIDCO in April 2006. After a lot of persuation and follow up, a plot measuring 1500 Sq Mtr was allotted by CIDCO in December 2008., We are thankful to all the Gurdwara Management Committees and Sikh Sangat Of Mumbai / Navi Mumbai , whose invaluable contributions to the Holy cause enabled us to make the full and final payment of Rs. 1.08 Crores to CIDCO in February/ March 2009. Physical possession of the Plot measuring 1500 Sq Mtrs was taken over by the Gurdwara Trust in April 2009.
The next milestone was Design of the Gurdwara Sahib Building. The groundwork for design of the Building was started in June 2009 involving two architects and a group of Senior Sewadars from Sikh Community in Kharghar , who deliberated on each and every small aspect of the place and after elaborate discussions and consultations, the design was given the final shape in November 2009 and submitted to CIDCO for Construction Clearance, which was obtained in January 2010.
Next and most important milestone was Foundation Stone laying for the Building. A meeting of all the Gurudwara Committees of Navi Mumbai was called to discuss and finalize the detailed schedule for the same. Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony was conducted with three day Kirtan Samagam on 23rd, 24th and 25th April 2010 wherein renowned Ragi Jathas and Kavishar Jathas were invited specially for the occasion. Foundation Stone was laid on 25th April 2010 by 5 great Personalities of the Sikh Panth.
The construction work of the building was started in June 2010 and completed in September 2013.